Saturday, January 31, 2009

As the World Does

So, there are two verses on my heart as I write this.... I just got finished watching a movie that reminded me so much of all the things I saw during a mission trip to India late last year. Because of the reminders I got about how hard life can be for them, and how, in many ways, there are so few "good" choices when it comes to survival, I wanted to find a verse to include in this post that was about remembering the poor. I don't usually like to start with my own agenda in writing on this site, but thought it was at least a starting place, and that God would lead me where He would, and I may end up with a verse about the poor, or I may not. Well, here's where I landed.

First, Paul is writing to the Galatians about his acceptance into the group of apostles and says, "They only asked us to remember the poor—the very thing I also was eager to do" Galatians 2:10 (NASB). This was the only advice the apostles gave to Paul: continue to help the poor. Good, good. What most caught my attention here, though, was his remark that this was the very think he was so eager to do. Good man that Paul...

Okay, I'll come back to that, but here's the other verse: "For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does" 2 Corinthians 10:3 (NIV). This verse usually reminds me that there is a supernatural enemy, and that he is against me, and that I am called to use supernatural spirit-filled tools in order to fight him. Today, though, I thought of it in light of the verse above, and also in light of a few things on the radar in my own life.

Economic times are hard right now; sigh.... I was joking at work the other day that my new least favorite phrase is, "because of the economy." I cannot count the hundreds I've times I've heard that lately. And as much as I'd like to deny it, money is top of mind in many ways and in many places right now. Companies are shoring up their accounts, consumers are afraid to spend, banks are lending less than ever before. And on and on and on... Fear not! I certainly do NOT wish to go into a diatribe about all these things. Truly, I'd rather be blithely unaware of them at all, but, God did put these three things together in my mind in a way that I think is worth sharing.

As I said, many people and institutions are tightening their purse strings. Spending less, hoarding more, and perhaps, fearing more than ever. But, what I heard in the latter of the two verses today was a reminder not to rely on the things upon which the world relies. I am receiving more requests to support others' missions and spiritually led ventures than ever before. I am giving more than I ever have before. And I, too, am aware of the world around me. When tempted to tighten my own purse strings and be more stingy and less generous than I have been in the past, I heard God speak into my heart, "We do not wage war as the world does." And then I heard the advice I needed today in the verse from Galatians: keep on helping the poor (as it's translated in the NLT).

Please don't misunderstand my point. Wise stewardship of God's money is always important, always. And, our God is the God of provision. The earth is the Lord's, along with everything and everyone in it. I consider it a blessing to even have the opportunity to have a heart for the poor in India. World missions are, I cannot help but believe, a thing God believes in as a pursuit for our lives when we're called to it. I do have fears that creep up about money. But the Bible tells me not to fear. When I take shelter in Him, when I tithe and continue my other giving faithfully and as He leads, I will be taken care of. There is no arguing the point. I doubt it all the time; I confess that much right now. But I know the truth: my God lifts me up, He keeps me safe and He is the one and only provider. Let our hearts not be tempted by the ways of the world to forget those who need His resources most.

No comments: