Thursday, February 26, 2009

God's Plans

I was reminded today of a very important point that I, myself, have made many times in speaking to others. For reasons that have little to do with my own reasoning, I felt prompted to let it be the topic for today's writing.

Here it is; it's plain and simple, and I'm far from the first to make it, but it is certainly worth repeating:

When I get out of the way, and truly surrender to God's plans for me, it is always far better than what I would have planned for myself.

Now, that's all well and good, but I want to really remember what it is that I'm saying here. First of all, God's "plans" for me is too tepid of a word to really capture the essence of this truth. God's plans for me are His dreams for me, His hopes, His wants and His visions for me. Just like an earthly parent that harbors, deep in his heart, dreams of success, happiness, fulfillment and joy for his child, our Heavenly Father wants that and so much more.

Yes, He knows the plans He has for us, but remember, like the "plans" a truly doting mother might dream up for her child, His plans are truly wonderful - plans to prosper us, and to give us hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).

So, when we allow our hearts to yield to His plans, remember that we're not just choosing obedience; we're choosing to create space for His beautiful, beautiful dreams for us. Can you imagine what amazing things the Lord of All Creation might have tucked away inside His personal hopes for your life and heart? It's a breathtaking thought for me.

And I would be irresponsible to not add that I have seen this unfold many times in my own life. And trust me, friends, I have been ridiculously stubborn in holding onto my own plans.

I have been (and many times still am) like an insolent child, suspiciously clinging to my dirty rag of a blanket, entirely fearful and uncertain of whatever warm blanket this God is offering to me. I hang on to a dirty rag, clinging tightly, fingers white with the desperation... sometimes it's taken years for Him to gently coax me into loosening that grip. "Here," He says, "I have something for you...." But, of course, I cannot take hold of what He holds without letting go of the things to which I presently cling.

It is by the grace and mercy of a loving God that I am able to say that, in many areas of my life - some big and some small - I have finally been willing to let go, open my palm and receive whatever He has held for me. And it is not an exaggeration to say that these exchanges - sometimes stretched over the course of years - have put into my hands the things in my life that I count as my purest joys.

I have been blessed to, at times, find myself clinging tightly to a new cloth - a beautiful, beautiful piece of art, full of color and the vibrancy of life and hope. It's this overwhelming beauty that He wishes to put into my life. I could so easily be embarrassed when I look back and realize the desperation with which I held onto those nasty, smelly rags.

It is in our fear and in our ignorance and, dare I say it?, our unbelief that we cling so tightly to that which we already have, that which is familiar. The unclenching of my fists, that letting go, is the start of receiving what He has held is precious trust for my life. It is always far better than what I thought I wanted, and best yet, it is His, of Him and from Him. Trust me friends, and let us push on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called us heavenward (Phil 3:14). It is more than worth it.

No comments: