Saturday, February 28, 2009

Terms of Service

I wrote a big, long and sort of convoluted thing about the "new covenant" tonight. I put some very good reference info in there, and even quoted Merriam-Webster (I don't know about you, but I learned in 7th grade that quoting the dictionary is the mark of a master-work). But, when I finally got around to it, what I really felt the Spirit leading me to say was much simpler. So, I erased it all.

Here's what it boils down to. I read every single word of my cell phone contract. I carefully considered the terms of service, the service agreements and my responsibilities. Then, I signed it. I do the same whenever I sign a contract or other agreement. It matters to me what it is that I've agreed to!

If you want a tip about where I'm going with this, I'll add one more comment. Contract and covenant are fairly synonymous. They basically mean the same thing. Take that idea and maybe it will help you think of the "new covenant" with a little less of what, for me, sometimes is the mysterious coating of religious-jargon. End of the day comes, and the "blood of the new covenant" is just a vital piece in the most amazing contract I ever signed.

Now, don't get me wrong - I am so so so grateful that God doesn't require us to read and provide a notarized copy of His terms before He'll accept us wholly into His family. No, bottom line, God is way, way more awesome than that in His huge love for us. But, whether we ever have to read a word of it or not, wouldn't you like to know what it says? For one, there's my end of the deal. What is it that I do and do not have to do in order to keep up my part of the bargain? In essence, what am I promising here?

Two, what is being promised to me? What am I entitled to claim full ownership of, thanks to this agreement?

Friends, we have quite the luxury in this one: the other "party" in our contractual agreement is the most loving, benevolent, faithful and good Being in all Eternity. He won't renege on His part. He won't run out of money or energy or time. And, if you actually spend some time with the contract, we really got a pretty sweet deal out of the whole thing.

My overall point is this: as a consumer in the natural world, I consider knowledge of my contracts and agreements to be a source of power. I won't be duped into thinking I have to do more than I do. Nor will I go on endlessly without knowingly requesting what is promised to me. I think it might be smart - if not reverent - to come to know the details of my covenant with the Lord as well as I know the terms of my mortgage papers.

And that's where the Bible and the Holy Spirit come in. I make either an implicit or explicit re-commitment to my part of the covenant with Jesus each day. I think I understood tonight in a new way why it's important for me to know what it is I'm agreeing to. There's power in knowing what it is He has promised to me. Power to keep going, power to keep hoping and power to let others know about the amazing "special offer" available to all.

This post got a little strange for me; it took me an hour and a half to write something rather short. I'll leave it here and hope I did Him justice.

No comments: