Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Baggage at the Cross

I had this mental image yesterday that I want to share with you all. It came to me while I was thinking in the context of new believers, so let's start there.

The image is a simple one... it's people burdened and weary walking up to the cross and unloading the luggage they've been carrying... some have heavy backpacks and are dragging along a suitcase or two behind them. Some have heavy, old trunks, clearly packed full that are strapped to their back; they can barely stand under the weight.

Each walks timidly at first up to the cross and sets his or her load down at the ground. For some of them, it's clearly painful and difficult just to take it off their backs; it's probably been there a long time. There are so many things they've been holding onto. They finally have somewhere to lay it all down.

Once they're finished shedding their excess burdens, there is an amazing transformation. Some leap and jump with joy. Some fall to their knees, weeping in gratitude. And some, (I think I would have been one of these) simply stand there, a little stunned and unsure of what to do, but light is around them and their countenance has changed. They are at the beginning of a special journey.

The reason this image stood out so much to me was 1) I think I need reminding, often, that this is what I'm invited to do and what I have done (once and for all!) at the cross. I can run back up there, pick up my load and trudge around for awhile if I really want to... but I DID lay those things down a long time ago. And 2) I find new things. The jacket I thought was keeping me warm turns out to be full of pockets, each one stuffed with old garbage. When I find these things, I can stick them back in my pocket and continue to wander, or I can turn back toward the cross (It is always right next to me) and put them down, leaving them for Jesus to tend forever.

Remember that you, too, have a choice. Each and every day. Each and every burden. We do not have to carry them alone. In fact, we don't have to carry them at all!

No comments: