Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Boldness Please

I'm doing a very careful reading of Acts for a class I'm in right now, and I am learning so much and being enriched in so many ways. If you haven't, I'd encourage all to take some time to slowly dig into this amazing book of the Bible!

The story that has inspired me to day is in Acts 4. Please read it for yourself, but in lieu of that, here is a short synopsis: the leaders of the Jewish religious and legal community of the day bring Peter & John in to figure out how to challenge and condemn them after they perform a miraculous healing in the name of Jesus. They're essentially stumped for the short term, but send John & Peter away with a command to stop preaching and healing in the name of Jesus.

What happens next is truly awe-inspiring! Peter & John return to their friends and fellow believers, they retell what has happened, and the church breaks into fervent, scriptural prayer. The last recorded words of their prayer are these:

"And now, O Lord, hear their threats, and give us, your servants, great boldness in preaching your word. Stretch out your hand with healing power; may miraculous signs and wonders be done through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”" Acts 4:2 9-30 (NLT).

My prayer for today is that when I am faced with challenges and attack, the prayers of my heart will follow the same pattern as what is shared here. I ask that I would desire further boldness and that I would pursue more glory for your name, Lord...no matter what the cost!



No comments: