Friday, September 11, 2009

Friendship

I had an experience today that provoked me to stop and remember just how valuable our friendships are. I absolutely believe that our God, a God of relationship, must have put special love into His design for Godly friendship.

From His word:

If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!
Ecclesiastes 4:10 (NIV)

A friend of mine had a scary incident today, and reached out for some support. I was so honored and glad to be available in her moment of worry and fear. The situation resolved well, but did leave me thinking. Where would I be without the friends in my life today and in years passed that have meant so much to me? I am grateful to say that there have been few times in my memory during which I was one of those who had no one to help me up. The Lord has been faithful in providing me always with a friend to help me when I fall.

As has been my experience of God's principles and precepts, being a part of them in any role is always beneficial. In this context, that means that it's good to be not only the one receiving help from a friend, but also the friend helping another. I find that both are gratifying, and on any given day, I am certain God smiles down on us as we live out His love for the people in our lives.

For me, it's an encouragement to remember that part of His designs includes being there for our friends. On some days, I feel like this is some of the most important ministry work I undertake. So, as we go into our weekends, let's all remember how much being a real friend can me - and maybe even take time to thank someone who's been that friend we needed in that challenging moment or season. It gets talked about a lot, but I'm hoping to overcome the cynical feeling of "Oh yeah, that's trite" and instead put enough time, heart and energy into really appreciating and valuing my friends today. I trust it will bless not only them, but me as well! God's plans work like that; it's a wonderful thing!


No comments: