Monday, September 21, 2009

Quick Fixes

Sometimes, I can become fairly easily overwhelmed and discouraged by the ways in which God works. From an objective and reasoned place, I do absolutely trust and believe that His ways are perfect and, furthermore, in my own life, I have absolutely seen that His paths and plans work far better than my own ever could!

At the same time, I sometimes would really like a quick fix. I'd like for grief to have melted away to a balmy acceptance years later; I would prefer for healing to be a clear straight line... always improving, and never been caught off guard by the discovery of a new wounded place. I'd like it to work that way sometimes. Or at least I think I would.

I also acknowledge that, if God did always work that way (because sometimes, He does), I'd never appreciate the journey. And I'd miss all the important "scenery" along the way. A wave of God's magic "wand" might seem like an attractive option, but, in truth, I'd not know so much of what I've learned about the journey of redemption and restoration. Jesus spent years forming the single act that changed the entire universe; I suppose I ought to take a cue from that. Could He have descended and done it all in a 10 minute window? I'm sure He could have! But He didn't! I think it's reasonable to assume that the reason is that there's purpose in the journey. Purpose in the building, and sometimes, in the tearing away.

I am grateful God is God and that I am not. I am grateful that Jesus willingly, lovingly and patiently sits on the throne of my life. And I am reminding myself and all who read these words that His ways are perfect. His path may seem long, but He's mapped it the way He has for a reason, and the reason is for your good and mine. I surrender to that, and I submit to His ways. Sometimes I need a reminder, but I'm glad He is only a heartbeat away when I need them!

No comments: