Friday, September 4, 2009

Where the Spirit of the Lord is...

Second Corinthians 3:17 says, "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."

Talk about a promise. I can rely on that word: where His Spirit is (which, really, just means where I invite in the Spirit & make room for His presence), I can count on freedom.

I think there's another possible application for this verse as well. When I consider the lives of those around me and my relationships, I can give them the gift of freedom more easily when I let th Spirit run the show. I know that, for me personally, I sometimes want to try to control others in my life. I want them to do what I want, prioritize the way I do, or respond in a certain way to the things I say and do. Yet, there isn't love in those desires; it's control. While one of the characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit is love (Galatians 5:32), I think this extends into this idea of freedom quite well. I can release my loved ones into being who they are, fully and freely, when I remember that my root is in Him. When His Spirit guides my day, I am able to better embrace others - just as they are, and also to stand steady myself, regardless of how others receive me.

I think that's the essence of true freedom on this earth in many ways. And I am not only grateful for the option to live into it, but also thankful for the reminder that, on tough days, the path from "here" to that place of freedom is all about letting His Spirit guide the way. God is good; I just have to let Him do what He does best.


No comments: