Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Expectation

I had a cool, albeit small, experience I'd like to share...

There are certain changes in myself I've been praying about, gifts I'd like to see manifest and become a real, active, daily part of my life. I was praying about this stuff the other day, and felt the nudge of the Spirit ask me what I was waiting for...

Consider this passage:

""I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark 11:23-24 (NIV)

Now, I felt like the direction I was getting was the same type directly communicated in these verses. The missing element wasn't God's unwillingness to grow my heart and character, to gift me spiritually. The missing element was my belief.

I chose in that moment to expect what I was asking for, to know it was being given to me...right then, right there.

I'm telling you, friends, change was evident and immediate.

Sometimes the "mysteries of God" allow me to put the facts of His grace, His faithfulness and His constancy out of my immediate view. His word is absolute. I chose to believe Him, and He showed up, just as He said He would.

It was a lesson to me, and I'm already on the lookout for application in other areas of my life. I wonder, what things might we waiting for me that God is letting sit, waiting only on my willingness to receive wholeheartedly? What is He holding in promise for my life? What about for yours?

No comments: