Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Thing that Makes the Difference

There are certain projects that require specific tools. I simply cannot bore a hole into a thick piece of metal without the proper drill... There are other jobs, however, that afford one more leeway. If I want to get a nail into the wall, I can use a hammer. But, I can also use the back cover of a heavy book, the heel of my shoe or any variety of other things I may have lying around. Perhaps we might all agree, however, that certain equipment will make a job easier than it would be with less well-suited tools.

So, let's extend this metaphor to life. Paul wrote to Timothy that, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NIV)

Yes, all scripture (catch that? all...) is useful. And it is through its application that men and women may be thoroughly equipped. To me, I think there are few relevant view-points here. For starters, it is true that sometimes one can look to the wisdom of the world and find the same solution or answer one might find if searching scripture. If I have a challenging relationship at work, a kind and reasonable counselor might tell me to rely on my heart, or my feelings for guidance. And, in a feat that on some days seems truly remarkable, my feelings might actually get me to the same spot the Word would. I might decide to respond kindly to this coworker, because the conflict created otherwise isn't appealing. In the end, maybe I come to the same conclusion.

However, I need only quickly review my own history to find convincing evidence that my feelings and instincts, however well-meaning, are often misguided and unreliable. I have done what "felt" right or "seemed" smart in the eyes of the world many, many times only to have it end poorly. Yet, when I have searched scripture & let the Holy Spirit lead my actions, I have never (really, never!) regretted it.

I think about all the complexities of life, the pain of life's seasons and trials, many of which are completely beyond our control. And I wonder how the "me" of a former life (before Jesus) would have responded to the things I see in my world today; in truth, I can only guess and it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that I know His guidance and the leading of His word and Spirit are the turning point, each and every time. He will lead me, and that is good every time!

No comments: