Thursday, September 24, 2009

Together in Prayer

Matthew 18:19-20 is a familiar passage to many of us:

"Again I say to you, if tow of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among them."

I, personally, have always thought about this verse within the context of church. I've thought about tiny Bible studies and small prayer gatherings, and been grateful to know that Jesus gathered there with those praying, and that the Father listened just as intently to their prayers as those lifted up by large groups.

The picture I had in my mind about this particular verse tonight, though, was something different and new...and it gave me a rush of gratitude in a whole new way.

I thought of worried parents, huddling together in prayer waiting for a child who should have been home for curfew hours ago. I thought of siblings, kneeling together at the foot of a sick mother's bed, praying over her sickness and physical body. And I thought of a newlywed couple, bowing together at the altar, seeking God's direction as they build their new life together.

With these scenes passing through my mind, I was humbled anew at God's gracious and spacious love for us. Friends, as we gather together - in moments of fear and grief, as well as in moments of adoration, gratitude and praise, Jesus is there with us. I can just picture Him laying hands on the bowed heads of that couple, praying with us, praying with them, that the Father's hand of guidance and favor would be on their lives. The thought brings tears to my eyes.

God's ways of answering prayer are sometimes hard for me to understand, but I believe He hears and answers, in His way and in His time, each one. If you've ever doubted His tender ear's attention to your words, remember that, when you join with another in the agreement of prayer, the two or three of you are always joined by one more. Hallelujah...


No comments: