Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Interactive God

I feel like I'm getting a new lesson from the Lord about His activity and engagement in our lives. As I'm reading through the Old Testament, I am not struck as much by the "Old Testament God" people talk of - who is supposed to be harsh and unyeilding. Instead, I am struck again and again by the Lord's tender heart for His people, His mercy and His closeness and presence in their lives.

Here's a demonstration of that:

"In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, "This is what the LORD says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover."

Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the LORD, "Remember, O LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes." And Hezekiah wept bitterly.

Before Isaiah had left the middle court, the word of the LORD came to him: "Go back and tell Hezekiah, the leader of my people, 'This is what the LORD, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you. On the third day from now you will go up to the temple of the LORD. I will add fifteen years to your life. And I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria. I will defend this city for my sake and for the sake of my servant David.' "" 2 Kings 20:1-6 (NIV)

I loved reading this. I have heard several really good teachings on the few example stories there are in the Bible of God's mind being changed by His people. For today's purposes, I have zero desire to broach that subject at all. My point is, regardless of the specific context of the story, the thing I am struck by in the message is that He is close at hand, present and affected by our bitter weeping. Even typing that and letting it really sink in brings tears to my own eyes...He is a present King!

I'm not sure there needs to be more explanation than just that. If you ever feel like God is distant, as if He doesn't hear you, or isn't responding to your prayers, be corrected by this scripture. Hezekiah's heart was His, and He was Hezekiah's Lord & Master. But, moreover, He was and is the "I AM" for whom there is no words; He leads, He rules, and in a way that we can neither fully understand nor articulate, He loves. And love is an action. And His love is active. Today. Right now. He is by your side. Don't doubt it. He's here.

No comments: