Monday, December 1, 2008

When I am Overwhelmed...

All of Psalm 61 spoke to me this morning, and I encourage all to read (and re-read!) this short Psalm today. As many of us head back into a busy work week after a longer holiday weekend, it brings a refreshing reminder that is doubly relevant as we head into the full-swing of the Christmas season.

Psalm 61:2 reads, "From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I" (NKJV).

There are so many thoughts that come to me simultaneously about this verse - all of which make me love it! First, it's a plea. When my heart is overwhelmed, I often can forget to seek the Lord immediately. It's so easy for me to just get into "go mode" and my human tendencies can take over, attempting to run roughshod over life. It's seldom very effective. This verse is a prayer that asks, "Hey, when I get to that place of being maxed out, please help take me back to You." I don't know about you, but I can certainly use that help!

Secondly, this verse reminds me that I can cry out to Him in anything. The Psalmist's use of "from the end of the earth" reminds me that no matter where I am in my heart, in my day or in my physical being, I can always cry out to the Lord. And I praise God that He always hears me! What a gift to have a loving Father who is never out of reach.

Thirdly, this verse reminds me that I will become overwhelmed. Even the Psalmist was overwhelmed sometimes it seems! Phew! I'm human... just like the rest of us. :) Seriously, though, I do have a remarkable ability to forget just that at times. I will become overwhelmed. I will become tired and worn out. There are days when I will feel like I am at the ends of the earth. It's okay. And, thankfully, no matter what may come my way, I am not alone, and I can live in the shadow of the wing of the God who created the heavens and the earth. I am never out of His reach, and He can simply imagine a whole new existence into being if it should ever come to that!

Lastly, this verse affirms that the Lord is a rock, and that He is higher than I. Yahweh Tsuri is a name used for God in the Old Testament. It means "the Lord is my Rock." The same root word is used here for rock, and conjures with it the sense of a mountain. God is BIG. Bigger than me (thankfully!) and waaaay bigger even than any problem, feeling or fear I could ever have. And He is higher than I. When I come to the end of me (which I pray comes more and more easily, Lord!), He is there, and He extends far beyond my tiny limitations.

Thank You, Lord, for being You. You are God the Rock, You are Higher than I. You are safety in the storm, shelter in the blowing winds of life. Thank You for being my only place of true refuge. Lord, when the swirl of life overwhelms me and threatens the peace that Your Son brings, please call my heart to You. Compel me to take a breath and to shelter in You, Lord. Remind my stubborn heart to call out to You, and to seek Your refuge and peace. Lead me to You, Lord, the Rock. And thank You, thank You, thank You for being that unchanging place of perfection in the storm. You are holy, Lord! I praise Your wonderful name!

No comments: