Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Keeping an Eye on the Fruit

In all honesty, I'm feeling a little reluctant about writing today's post. I'm feeling a sense of conviction, and am not at all sure how to capture it or convey it here in a way that's appropriate. I suppose I will just let the Holy Spirit take that action item. :)

Here's the verse that spoke to me today: "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit" Matthew 12:33 (NASB).

There are two elements to this verse that grabbed me: first, the tree is known by its fruit. This is how we are recognized. As believers, as truth-tellers, as oaks of righteousness. Not by who we say we are, not by the books on our nightstand, and not even by the deep secret whisperings in our hearts. We are recognized in the world by that which comes forth from the lives we live and the decisions we made. We're seen and evaluated by our actions, our external realities and our outward behaviors.

This, frankly, isn't a truth I'm crazy about. I fail, at least on a daily basis, to live up to the reputation deserved by Christ. Sometimes I fail big. One way the enemy helps me along sometimes is to lead me toward rationalization. Enemy or not, though, it's me who chooses to accept whatever compromised position I sometimes take. That leads me to the second element: this verse clearly directs the reader to "make" the tree one way or another. There's a clear indication here of power, action and intent. Make it good. And the fruit is part and parcel with the tree; there's no room here for a great tree with really shabby fruit.

I am going to leave this message here today; it's simple, but sometimes that's the priceless part. Let the Lord speak through it in whatever way He intends for you today. Be well.

No comments: