Saturday, December 13, 2008

For His Glory...

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion-- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor" Isaiah 61:1-3 (NIV).

The first three verses of Isaiah 61 are verses familiar to me, and verses that hold special importance in my heart. I've read them many times, studied them and meditated on them. This morning, however, the Holy Spirit did what I love: He brought something anew to my eye in one of these familiar verses. In writing about the transformation that can occur in the hearts of God's people, the last part of the third verse reads, "...that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified" Isaiah 61:3 (ESV).

Now, what struck me here? The very last phrase, which is slightly different in the ESV than the other translations with which I am more familiar. "That He may be glorified." Ahh, what a wonderful reminder! And that may perhaps be because I am so familiar with this passage. It's a passage that has always spoken to me in encouragement about what it is that Jesus can and does do in the lives of His people; it's a passage that talks about what it is He can, desires and will do in my life (and in yours!).

This last phrase caught my heart this morning.... The Lord does these things and restores our brokenness because He loves us, and because we are His. But He also does these things for an even more important purpose: so that He may be glorified.

Even with all the healing and restoration I have seen in my life, even with all the incredible ways in which God has rescued me from the pit again and again, it is still easy for me to focus on and wonder and worry about the areas in which I still see bondage in my own life. It's a wonderful blessing to have a passage in Scripture to remind my heart that, yes, Jesus is about setting captives free, breaking the bondage of prisoners and binding my broken heart. Praise God and Thank You! What's more important is to remember that it's not about my agenda. The greater purpose, of which I am a willing servant (when I remember to think about it this way!) is to bring glory to the Glorious One!

Lord, whatever Your timeline, whatever Your vision, whatever Your plans, I submit myself to You. I believe You, Lord, for complete and total freedom from strongholds and areas of bondage in my life - no matter how big or small! I also pray in agreement with Your designs for when and how those chains will fall! I believe they are falling already, Lord. And I pray with all my heart that their final clanking to the ground might bring glory and honor and praise to Your name from every corner of the world! To You belongs all the glory! Help me to be a part of the realization of Your praiseworthy Name! I love You Lord! And I give You my life. Lord, I give You my day. I am Yours. Amen.

No comments: