Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On our Behalf

In reading Psalm 97 this morning, I was struck by this verse: "Light is sown for the righteous, And gladness for the upright in heart" Psalms 97:11 (NKJV). What I noticed about it (and this is just the kind of thing I notice!) is the way the sentence is structured, and what that teaches us.

First, looking at what is actually being said... Light is sown in our lives, and gladness too! Sounds pretty good, right? I'm imagining God looking about and around at the landscape of my life, and carefully digging open little pockets here and there. I'm imagining His precious finger circling into the dirt to create a tiny perfect pocket for the seeds He's sowing - seeds of light! Imagine how the seeds sown by the Maker Himself must respond in His hand!

And gladness for the upright in heart... In my imagination (and, really, this is all just imaginary literalism - it helps me sometimes really appreciate the Word), the seeds of gladness are sort of like Mexican jumping beans; all wiggly and unable to be contained.

So, more so than just the concepts, what actually caught my heart was the phrasing: these things are sown for us. They're sown on our behalf, and not by us. The Lord, in His abundant mercy and graciousness is the sower. He pulls out His hoe, and his trowel and burrows the holes; He plants the seeds, and you can bet that the Gardener of light and gladness also sends rain and sunshine to nourish His plantings.

Lord, that I may look around my life today and see with Your eyes! That I may see trees of light and the hedges of gladness that You have planted and tended for my benefit. Lord, You do the work! You plant the seeds and You are the Gardener. Thank You, Father, for tending to me. Thank You that I do not have to go in search of the seed; You are right here, and planting away. May this day bring honor and glory to Your name, Lord...and may it make You smile! Thank You, thank You, thank YOU, Lord! I love Your Holy Name!!!

No comments: