Sunday, November 30, 2008

Joy is a Verb

As I know I've recently shared, I've had a hard time feeling "into" my work lately. It's been a struggle to motivate myself simply to accomplish the things which are within my purview to accomplish!

It's now Sunday morning, and I know that 24 hours from now, I will be in the office starting a new work week. Part of me feels looming dread as I think of it.

With that as my context, this is the verse that caught my attention today:

"Though the fig tree may not blossom, Nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, And the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, And there be no herd in the stalls--Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation" Habakkuk 3:17-18 (NKJV).

I hear two basic messages in this verse. First, I am reminded that how I feel about a particular situation isn't necessarily relevant. As I have learned to be true, feelings lie. I don't know about you, but my feelings often are not reflective of the truth. They're simply how I feel. I don't have to give them ultimate authority over my experience.

Secondly, I am struck by the last sentence of this passage: "I will joy in the God of my salvation." I will joy in God? I wasn't even quite sure what this meant or how exactly to understand it. So I did what we all learned to do writing Junior High essays. I looked it up in the dictionary!

Joy, as a verb, basically means to bring gladness, to rejoice or to create a feeling of happiness. The nuance of the word seems to imply intentionality, purpose and willingness. What my heart hears in this message this morning is that, regardless of what happens with my morning, my work day or my mood, I can choose to receive the gladness, joy and happiness that is rooted in my Lord. There is an abundance of it!

I am reminded again of something I know I shared recently, a favorite sentiment from Beth Moore's study on the fruit of the spirit: God won't just change your life; He can also change your day.

Lord, as I go out into the world today, please help keep my focus on You. I thank You SO much for the sacrifices You've made for me. I thank You for a job to work at, thoughts to think and feelings to feel. Lord, help my very soul to know beyond a doubt that You are present in every moment, and help me receive the joy that comes with that truth. Lord, even when I feel less than excited about a situation, help me remember that I have a choice to make. And give me the strength and willingness to persevere in choosing to joy in You! Thank You Lord for your unfailing love for me. Thank You for the blessings Your continue to pour out into my life, day by day. I love You so much, Lord. Thank You.

No comments: