Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Not of the World

As I met up with the Lord this morning, I was struck by a very simple verse in one of my favorite chapters in the Bible: "I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours" John 17:9 (NKJV). Here, Jesus is praying. The opportunity to have such intimate access to the prayers of Jesus, the conversations between our Savior and His Abba, our Abba, is a moving and precious gift.

What struck me this morning is that, as Jesus prays, He clearly makes a distinction between the world and those of us who belong to Him. He even goes on to say quite plainly, "They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world" John 17:16 (NKJV).

This thought brings me hope!

Now that we are in Christ, ransomed and redeemed, we are no longer of the world. We're not just people living normal worldly lives with a little side bonus of Jesus-y goodness on the side. We are completely and wholly changed in our inmost beings. We cease to be what we knew, what we were and what, in many ways, defined our very essence, and we take on and take hold of the essence of the Spirit that embodies what we were intended to be on this earth.

I am not of the world! This is a shout of victory for me. When I go through my day today, I will be tempted (no doubt) to feel frustrated, burdened or even irritated by the daily matters of a normal day. There will be hustling and bustling people at work, all convinced of the urgency of matters that, I assure you, are quite daily and very much so "of the world." I have certainly fallen prey to adopting this same sense of false urgency myself. Don't get me wrong; it is important to do my job well. In fact, as a Christian in the workplace, it is perhaps one of my greatest opportunities for testimony. What grace that someone might look upon me, associate me with my King, and also recognize a commitment to working with excellence, humility and devotion.

At the same time, I am not of the world. I am simply an inhabitant, temporarily. It's like a really, really unfortunate vacation. I'm just a visitor here, and this is not my home. So however tempted I may be to allow myself to live as if the urgent worldly matter of my moment is all there is, it simply is not even the tip of the iceberg.

I'm not sure what good this word may do in application in your life today, but I am certain that the perspective shift is one that I can use. This, for me, is a reminder that never is over-done.

Thank You, Lord, for reminding me that I am Yours...here to do Your will, but only stopping by in this place. Thank You for the home You have prepared for me; may I bring honor and glory to Your name today, as I sojourn through this earthly day! Amen.

No comments: