Friday, December 12, 2008

Mighty to Save

I have to admit it; although I would rather have any other answer as my truthful answer, the fact of the matter is that there are times in which I doubt God's ability and/or willingness to rescue me from that which wages war against me.

Rationally, consciously and intellectually, I absolutely believe that God has all power and that He wants the absolute best for me. And yet, when it comes to a dark moment in a quiet place, the lies of the enemy sow seeds of doubt in my heart.

Could this ever really be different? Could this particular stronghold ever really go away...I mean, completely? I'm just being honest here, friends. These are the secret wonderings of my heart in some of those moments.

And what am I to do with such a doubting heart? Well, His Word instructs me to take captive my thoughts for Christ. The same passage in 2 Corinthians 10 tells me that the weapons I have at my disposal, the weapons and power of the God most high, do have the power to demolish strongholds. Not just the power to hold them at bay, if I try really, really hard...the power to destroy them absolutely.

Sometimes, I think, my wandering heart also fights against the lies that say that God can rescue me, but that maybe He's just real busy right now, or perhaps I am just not on His radar in terms of rescue. This, too, is a lie.

The verse that jumped out to me this morning speaks directly against both of these lies; and His Word is the most powerful weapon I could have in my own hands: "The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing" Zephaniah 3:17 (NIV).

Friends, you may have a steadier faith than I do; and I pray that you do! However, if not, let this verse soak into the fibers of your soul today. He is mighty to save. He takes great delight in me. He takes great delight in you. His love - His love - has not only the power, but the desires to quiet our hearts. He rejoices over us with singing. Wow. Can you imagine the Lord of Hosts rejoicing and singing...over us?

Lord, that I may do anything worthy of Your song! Help me, Lord, with my unbelief. You know my heart; You know the places of doubt and fear and hesitation. Help me. Eradicate the dark places where the enemy tries to plant his feet. Help my heart and soul and mind and entire being KNOW that You are mighty to save, that You take great delight in me, and that out of Your love for me, You quiet my heart. Lord, again, that I may bring Your heart a reason to sing! Thank You Lord; thank You!

No comments: