Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Restoration

I recently had the incredible privilege of going to work on a short term missions trip to India. I had gone expecting to be utterly depressed by what there was to see. And yes, there were many painful sights, and I did (and still do) shed tears of heartbreak over the many forms of injustice being lived out there. At the same time, I came out of that trip with a new and powerful reverence for the transformative and restorative power of our God. He IS the God of redemption, of restoration and of wholeness.

Psalm 30 contains several verses that extol the marvelous name of our marvelous Maker. I am debating, even as I write this, as to which verse to use this morning; there were several that called to my heart. However, for now, let's look at verses 11 & 12: "You have turned my mourning into dancing for me; You have put off my sackcloth and girded me with gladness, To the end that my tongue and my heart and everything within me may sing praise to You and not be silent. Oh Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever" Psalm 30:11-12 (AMP). Amen!

Friends, my life hasn't looked a single thing like some of those whose suffering I witnessed in India. At the same time, my life has not been easy in many ways. I came out of adolescence a hurting, angry and self-destructive young woman. I spent years spinning my wheels in attempts to find some ground to stand on. I was miserable and utterly crushed by how lost I had become; what was worse was that I had no idea how to be found.

Thankfully, Jesus and Our Father were pursuing me, even in my darkest hours in the pit, and truly, truly, truly, I can say to you that He has turned my mourning into dancing for me. I didn't do it! He has taken off the drab and destroyed layers that were over me and put on me a cloak of joy and gladness. And why? One, it's because He loves me. But as this verse teaches, it's also so that I can praise Him and bring glory to His name. I am living proof of His power. I am a walking testimony of what can come from damaged, broken and wandering heartbreak.

My life today continually humbles me and has me on my knees in prayers of overwhelmed gratitude. There are gifts pouring into my soul that I had never, ever dreamed would be available to me. I am restored. I am His work, and He has brought the healing power of His love to me a million ways over.

I will sing His praises! I will give thanks...forever!

Friends, no matter what comes into our lives and no matter what grips the enemy may hold us in, we are HIS, and in the very exhalation of His breath, He is greater than all the tricks of the enemy bound together. Verse 2 of this same Psalm says, "O Lord my God, I cried to You and You have healed me." He has healed me, and He is still healing me in many ways. Our God is in the business of healing and restoration! May your heart be filled with every conviction of just that! And may your voice and mine join together in praises for the restoration He has carried into our hearts and lives - and that which is yet to come! He is a good God; praise Him!

No comments: