Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Trusting Enough for Thank You

I told someone the other day that I was "thankful for the plan." My friend's response? "Um, what IS the plan?" My answer was, "I don't know, but I trust Him enough to be grateful for it."

You know, when I spontaneously find myself in that place of gratitude, my heart is filled just to know and see His work in my life.

Most days, I feel totally uncertain as to what His plans are for five minutes beyond the present. There are so many things He does and so many moments in which I find myself that prompt me to think, "Um, okay... I am winging it here, but hopefully I'm doing alright!" And I say that to demonstrate that, even when I am in the middle of the unfolding plan itself, sometimes I still don't know what's going on! ha!

But I also know that, really, my clarity on exactly the progression of His world isn't usually that important. What is important is that I am quick to obey, and that I stay in a place of gratitude. See, in that way, my gratitude doesn't need to be dependent upon the outcome of any specific thing or situation. It's dependent upon Him. And if I trust Him and truly believe Him and trust that His plans really are not to harm me, but to give me hope and a future (see Jeremiah 29:11!), then I have no alternative but to be grateful. For He is good, and if His plan for me is one that He deems good, then I should be doing cartwheels!

So, even in the midst of bleak times, in the middle of a harrowing season and in the darkness of the unknown, I strive to always give thanks! Because my thankfulness is not about the times, the season or the outcomes; it's about God and who He is! In Him, we can all take refuge and find gladness...of this, I am sure!

No comments: