Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Knowing What's Right

"'For you will be expelled from the synagogues, and the time is coming when those who kill you will think they are doing a holy service for God. This is because they have never known the Father or me. Yes, I’m telling you these things now, so that when they happen, you will remember my warning.'" John 16:2-4a (NLT)

Jesus' words here really jumped out at me today. "The time is coming when those who kill you will think they are doing a holy service for God." Wow. I noticed that it doesn't say "for their gods" or "for humanity." Others who persecute the followers of Jesus will think they are doing a holy thing for God. Our God. The only God.

I wish wish wish there was a simple and complete list of things to do and not do that covered life completely. Yes, there is the Bible, and its rich guidance covers life on a macro scale. But, there is no listing that clarifies exactly which words I'm supposed to use when comforting a grieving friend or how to respond to an employee who is curious about my church, but cautiously so. There are a million different specific scenarios that are covered within the general wisdom of the Bible, but about which specific direction is not given. I wish there was.

Along those same lines, I pray about all my major decisions, and as many minor ones as I remember to. The exact words for a friend, the scriptural passage I need in a moment of hurting or the name of a family member who needs an extra hand can all come to me as if from no where in ways and times that I know are from the Lord. The Spirit speaks to my gut with words unspoken and messages I could never articulate. Yet, I could pray hours and hours and, still, some answers would not be provided. There is no list of absolutes - not even in prayer.

I can seek wise counsel; I can meditate, read the wisdom of the scholars, listen to countless sermons, seek God's direction in prayer and read the Bible cover-to-cover, and EVEN then, there are still some things where the exact answer I think I need may not come.

I personally believe this is because we're also given minds and hearts of our own. We're taught so that we can learn, and then, in turn, apply what we've learned. Sometimes we do it wrong, but sometimes we do it right. I don't need to ask God whether I should have Chex or Rice Krispies for breakfast; truth is, He may not care. But, when it comes to more important decisions, I can seek His will and wisdom tirelessly. And yet, in many decisions, there will come a time when it's time to decide. And then what? As the passage above says, there will be those who persecute Jesus' true followers and think they are doing so in the defense of God! How can I avoid being one so misled?

Well, I think it's a combination of all of the above, and perhaps above all, a willingness to be corrected. A humble heart keeps me open to learning that I am wrong and willing to, in turn, set things right. I can walk forward in boldness knowing that if I honestly seek Him, He will never leave me stranded. His faithfulness extends beyond that which I can comprehend.

Just a few verses down, Jesus adds this: "'But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you.'" John 16:13-14 (NIV)

So take heart! The Spirit of truth comes, and we are guided by His grace! So, make sure you're resting in Him, and then you can rest easy!

No comments: