Friday, August 21, 2009

Familiar

I was talking with a group of friends last night about the unexpected repetitive patterns we sometimes recognize in our own lives. I know I'm not the only one who, at times, has realized, with a start, that a certain relationship or interaction or habit is amazingly similar to another I've had in the past. Sometimes these parallels are refreshing and comforting; I do have some good patterns I repeat sometimes.

On other occasions, this realization can come with disappointment. I've repeated patterns in relationships, in prayer & study habits, in the way I approach co-workers... you name it! And some of these, I've seen, can be not-so-good things to repeat.

The good news is that God gives us these insights into our behaviors and patterns if we look for them, and stay open to His word to us:

"For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6 (NIV)

Additionally (and very importantly!), He will give us a new way to live when the patterns aren't positive ones.

"This is what the LORD says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the LORD your God, whoteaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go." Isaiah 48:17 (NIV)

This post today is for anyone who, in any area of his or her life, has that "I've been here before" feeling. We've all "been there" before; it's just that, sometimes, the "there" is different from person to person. The good news is that God is a God of Good News! And He's about re-birth and redemption and restoration and transformation. He will give us wisdom; we need only ask & receive. He will teach us what is best for us and direct our feet; we need only ask...and receive.

I'm grateful for a God who leads today; and I am GLAD I'll be seeing that truth again and again!


No comments: