Friday, August 28, 2009

Faithful

As usual, I have been meditating a lot on the idea of faith lately. Regular readers may recall seeing multiple references to Hebrews 11:1 lately ("Faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of things not yet seen" (NIV).

I've found that, at least for me, my own ability to live in faith is directly related to how truly I believe in God's faithfulness - as a fixed, permanent and constant attribute of His character. In church, in study and in songs, I hear a lot about God's faithfulness. And, with praise, I am glad to report that I have seen it in my own life - again and again and again.

I came across this verse today:

"Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands." Deuteronomy 7:9 (NIV)

There is a space inside me that wants (and needs) read that again and again. Not only does this verse speak in absolute truth, as authoritative Word that God is faithful, but it also gives an easy to miss command at the beginning. We are to know that the Lord is God. He is God. I don't know about you, but sometimes, I have to remind myself of just that fact: He is God (and I'm not!). He is faithful. He is keeping (present tense!) His covenant of love.

Thank You, Lord, for being who You are! Because You first loved me, I can love...and because You are faithful, I can put my enduring faith and trust in Your hands. I love You, Lord! Thank You!

No comments: