Sunday, November 9, 2008

Apart from Him...

I am learning to more and more love the idea of paying specific attention to what it is that God says about Himself.

In Isaiah 43:11, He tells us, "I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior" (NIV).

This verse obviously speaks directly to the person of Jesus, and His relationship to the Father. It also speaks about who God is. He is the only way for us to find salvation - and, in this context, I am thinking not so much of the big-picture eternal kind. I'm thinking of the day-to-day, tough situation, challenging relationship, habitual weakness, I-am-so-human, kind.

I try and have tried a million and a half ways to "save" myself. It's all part of the "try harder" I was talking about yesterday. One of my ongoing challenges is to seek Him...and not just His will and His guidance (although those are beyond crucial!), but also His strength, His energy, His stamina, His best-idea. I can tend to be SO self-seeking. Self-reliant. And yet, this verse is clear.

Apart from God (that is, on my own), there is no savior... I can't save me. I am not even supposed to try. Plain and simple, that's not my job. Not only was it never offered to me, I am far from qualified. My own plans, my own reasoning, my own ideas...if I work on them without the influence of my Father, it's energy spent in vain.

God, I have so many ways in which I need saving today - and every day. I thank You earnestly and with the depths of my heart for the eternal gift of salvation, and for the sacrifice of Your Son. Help my heart to be reminded today that even in daily matters, there is no salvation apart from You. And, in that, help me stay close to and dependent upon You in every way. Thank You for Your loving guidance and protection, Lord. Help me stay hidden in the shelter of Your wing. I praise You for Your loving faithfulness, God. Thank You for letting me love You and know You. May this day bring glory to Your name. Amen.

No comments: