Monday, November 10, 2008

Getting Fruity

There is a lot of talk about bearing fruit in the word, and of course, many metaphors about vines and branches and the like. I actually find these parallels to be very helpful and useful... When a vine is healthy, grapes grow. When a plant is nourished and fed, and deeply rooted, there is an abundance of fruit.

The verse that caught my attention this morning speaks about us and our ability to bear fruit: "My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples"
John 15:8 (NASB). Friends, I want to bring glory to God. I am so grateful for a true and sincere desire to do just that. And this verse tells me that one way I can do that is to bear much fruit.

Well, what does that mean? It means doing my part to deepen my roots, fortify the soil, nourish the planting that is my very self! I can't just look at a flower pot and hope it grows. I can't just cross my fingers and and hope that I produce much fruit. I need to do the things Jesus did; I need to do the things His followers did (and still do, praise God!). I need to pray. I need to spend quiet time alone listening to and talking with the Lord. And I need to know His word. I need to let it be my nourishment. I need to believe. I need to be conscious and intentional about following after Him. When Jesus recruited the disciples, He didn't just wander the hillsides hoping someone would accidentally amble onto the same general path.

He said, "Come, follow me." And those who came put down whatever things they held before, and made a decision to go. I can do this each day. Although I am pretty faithful about taking time for prayer and Bible reading each morning, I sometimes do not put in the extra time (and patience) it takes to really connect to the Lord. I basically just go through the motions. And, no, not every day is going to provide a feeling of soaring spiritual connectedness, but regardless of how I feel, I am connected each and every day.

And this word says that it is to His glory that I bear much fruit. I wouldn't toss a budding stem on the ground and hope to come back the next day and pick up a pear. So I will stick with it; I will take the extra energy and make that connection. I will pour out what's on my heart, so that He can pour in His spirit. That filling is what it's really all about!

No comments: