Tuesday, November 18, 2008

We are Dust

"As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust" Psalms 103:13-14 (NIV).

I can put an awful lot of pressure on myself. In some form or another, it usually boils down to pressure to be perfect. I forget who I am; I forget what I am (and what I am not) capable of. I unconsciously act as if I believe that my own efforts will get me wherever it is I am trying to go.

More egregiously, I often project this same standard onto the Lord. I seem to unconsciously believe that God expects me to be perfect. Or, at the very least, to be stronger and wiser and more faithful than I am today.

Thankfully, I know and believe that the Lord is teaching me and shepherding me and that I do have the ability to become stronger, more faithful and more wise... but, at the end of the day, I am only made of dust. I'll never be perfect. I'll probably never make every decision in the wisest way. I'll probably never get to the place where the temptation to out of my flesh doesn't show up in some way in my life, subtle though it could be! And, truthfully, it's unlikely that I'll ever get to a place where I don't have to be reminded - at least every once in awhile - to trust in the Lord.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have way too many experiences under my belt to doubt that the Lord of Hosts can and will fight for me with a mighty and benevolent hand. I also know what glorious graces are awaiting me in Heaven. At the same time, I keep checking, and yep, it seems that for today, I'm still human.

For me, the verse above brings comfort on two levels: first, it helps remind me of what I am. I am just an earthly natural being, formed of dust at the hand of the Potter. Secondly, it assures me that He remembers that too. I can live my day to day life with the looming pressure of trying to be something I'm not; but I don't have to. He knows me. He knows how I am formed - down to the most minute of details, and He has compassion on me. The Lord loves me. Praise God! I can rest in that today. I hope you will join me as I pray for the strength to yield.

Thank You, Lord, for loving me!

No comments: