Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Thief in the Night

Last night was an historic night for all of us in America, and perhaps the world. A presidential election, a landslide victory, and the first African-American president for one of the most influential and powerful nations in the contemporary world. As I read brief messages online from many of those I know, respect and admire, I was surprised and mildly dismayed by the amount of fear and worry expressed by those who had hoped for a different outcome.

I remembered Isaiah 41:10 which commands "Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand" (NKJV). Almost immediately following the remembrance of the scripture, I thought, This is the work of the enemy. He comes to steal, kill and destroy. I truly am impressed by his unwavering efforts, and this seems to be another opportunity for him to gain some ground.

Then, I got into the Word this morning. The verse that jumped out at me was spoke directly to my thoughts; Jesus' words hit home even more directly in the Amplified Bible:

I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]" John 16:33 (AMP)

I am so thankful for a Bible study written by Beth Moore about faith. It's called Believing God, and one of the themes challenged me to look at more than whether or not I simply believed in God, but rather asked, did I believe Him.

Jesus is the truth that enables each and every believer to have perfect peace and confidence. Perfect peace! There is much in this world that is worrisome and contrary to the heart and will of God. AND, He has overcome the world! He has conquered FOR us, and it no longer has the power to harm us. Hallelujah!

I want this post to not only remind others that we are not subject to the kings of this world, but to also remind myself that whatever trials or tribulations the world (and my day!) may throw at me, I have been given the blessed gift of perfect peace! I pray that I am enabled to receive it continually throughout the day, and that I do not sin by rejecting such a precious gift!

It was a big night for us all - no matter how you feel about our president-elect. But be on guard! There is a thief and he comes to disable us; fear is a wonderful tool in his repertoire! Embrace the perfect peace of Jesus; He is Lord of ALL.

No comments: