Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Learning from Mary's Example

I was struck tonight by two verses in the same chapter...I'd actually done some meditations and study on the first of these, but I don't recall ever noticing or having it pointed out to me that the second one, which seems to echo the language of the first, is even there - just a few verses down. First things first; the verses:


"But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart" Luke 2:19 (NIV)

&

"Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart" Luke 2:51 (NIV).

What caught my attention first was the similar language. I started to think about what a good example Mary could be in remembering to treasure the here and now, and keeping close to our hearts the precious things that happen in life when it is oh-so-tempting to let them be quickly swept away. And, of course, those are always good reminders for me, and I'm glad to have thought of them. However, what became more interesting for me was looking at the original language; it's similar in some ways, but in some key ways different.

In the first verse, after Mary hears the wise men speak prophesy over her son, Jesus, and speak out the stories of what they were told by the angels, she treasures these things up in her heart. The original language for "treasure" implies a sort of conservation though. She's holding them closely together, in an effort to remember. The original language implies she wants to keep them protected from ruin.

The word translated here as "ponder" is a truly awesome word (I'm a word-nerd; I love 'em!). It means to meet up with and to encounter, to converse with and to consult, and (by implication) to personally aid. How cool! In this verse, Mary is not only holding these words close together for preservation, but she's also having a relationship with them in a way. She comes together with the words and ideas here and let's them be wisdom and teaching to her. This verse demonstrates a much better example in Mary than I'd even expected!

The second verse gives a quick aside as to part of Mary's behavior after finding Jesus in the temples teaching after she & Joseph had thought they'd lost him. This is the famous "I was in my father's house" story. And, truthfully, she provides a truly honorable example here again. Remember, she's well into the childhood and adolescence of this son of hers, but as we all know, he was no ordinary son. Can you even imagine? I don't have any children myself yet, but I know enough to know what a mind-bending and mind-blowing experience it is on countless levels. Can you imagine adding to the mix the knowledge that your son, conceived of the Spirit, was also the Holy Savior of all humanity?!? Um, yeah... talk about a big bite to chew on!

In any case, it seems Mary was wise enough to have started learning from the Savior early on. The language translated in the NIV here to "treasured" is not the same word as our previous scripture. This word has very different implications. It means to watch thoroughly, and to observe. This, from what I can tell, is a far more shrewd and thoughtful (rather than "heart-ful") response. Mary was paying attention! One smart lady - in any case, but especially considering all she knew about her son and God's plan for his earthly life!

Lastly, the word translated as "heart." It is the same word in both verses. From the reference materials I've read, it seems to imply her mind and heart more so than the way I might mean when talking about her heart alone. It seems to refer to a space sort of tucked into the deep middle of her thoughts and her feelings. So, it's not all intellectual, but it's not without intellect. It also is specifically called out as in the middle. These were not things she was pondering or treasuring or keeping together just on the edges of her self. They were things she tucked right into that special middle-pocket. She knew better than to be cavalier about the things revealed to her - no matter the manner of revelation.

In many ways, I wish we knew more about Mary. Not to state the beyond-obvious, but she was obviously a woman from whom I could learn much.

Lord, I ask for a heart like Mary's. I ask for the wisdom and humility to take deep within myself the beautiful special whispers You offer to me in this life. I ask for the awareness and intelligence to pay close attention to the lessons Jesus demonstrates for me. May I learn the skills and abilities that help me to know Your heart better and do Your will more! Thank You, Lord for so many stories from which we can learn so much! You are a wonderful teacher! Amen.

No comments: