Monday, January 19, 2009

A New Idea about an Old Notion

So, I set out today to find some verses just reminding me that He is protecting me, and my path. He was speaking into my heart last night, and we were talking about fear - my fear. I have a lot of it sometimes. And my human nature wants to provide a laundry list of all the areas in my life about which I'd like specific and dramatic promises. I want Him to take each one separately and foster a life-shaking moment that will help me to be "sure" that He's really going to walk with me in the specific area, and that He'll protect those things He's promised to me. And my human heart doesn't just want a general promise of His goodness; it wants certainty.

And as I type that, I am reminded that "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1 (NIV). And as I type that, I am reminded that our sermon topic this weekend was about walking by faith. I nodded right along. Ha ha. How easily and quickly (and frequently) my faith-steps falter!

So, in my searching, I found some verses, and I do appreciate those reminders. But what I caught out of the corner of my eye was a snippet of 1 Corinthians 13 - you know, the famous "Love is" passage. My heart was convicted in the moment...

Love. He loves me. That much I know; most moments, I'm even totally convinced of it. And He loves me with that special love that 1 Corinthians 13 talks about.... The part of the passage that jumped out to me today was a section overlapping 2 verses: Love... "it always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails" 1 Corinthians 13:7-8a (NIV).

It always protects. He always protects, because He always loves. And love, His Love, it never fails. Yes, there are verses out there that speak to certain fears, and remind me that He is my shield and light. But today, to put it simply, I was just reminded that He LOVES. And love - the kind of the Lord - it always protects. ALWAYS protects. Me. He is my protector, my warrior God, my mighty Lord. He is mighty to save, and I am His precious daughter. And He loves me. His love never fails; it never lets me drop.

Lord, Father, Abba-daddy, please help me with my unbelief. You never change. Your Word and Your Love are eternal. Your love always protects. Your love cannot fail. You cannot fail me. Lord, as Your word tells us, we do not wage war as the world does - and AMEN! I feel myself so easily grabbed by spirits of fear, and spirits of doubt. Lord, I rebuke them in the name of Your son, Jesus Christ. Lord, Lord, help me with my unbelief! Help my heart to remember and to know that You always protect me, and You always love me and that there is no break in that protection. Those things that You have given to my heart are mine to accept, as long as I believe in the gift of the Giver. Help me believe, Lord. Thank You for Your love!

No comments: