Thursday, January 15, 2009

2009 and His Promise

This new year, 2009, started for me with a promise from the Lord, "I have come for you." I guess it's really more of a statement of fact than a promise. He has come. For me.

This year, for many reasons, already holds the promise to be something incredible for me. First of all, God is good. Good good good, and each year seems to convince my heart of that more. The net result, of course, is that each and every season grows into something that's somehow better than the one before - even with the struggles and challenges that are a part of life. But, more than that, He has been speaking to me....

I was talking to a woman at church one evening who was telling me about how God had "just given her her word for 2009." I thought, "Hey, I want a word for 2009!" And, so, a few days later, God provided. And this is what He said, "I have come for you."

Then, within days, I came across this verse:

“…say to those with fearful hearts, ‘Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.’” Isaiah 35:4 (NIV)

And this, my friends, was my first memory verse for 2009 (although, I admit, I don't have it fully memorized yet!). I'd been experiencing some waves of fear, and I know this was God's word to my heart - reinforcing and reminding me of the only thing I really need to know.

He is God. And God is big. And better still, He is my God. And your God! And He is for us. And, what strikes me even more, He's not just coming, He's coming with vengeance. We don't fight against small opponents, but none can stand a chance.

I need saving all the time. Jesus Christ is my savior - but it's not a one time deal. My eternal salvation, yes. I made that decision a long time ago, but in the daily days of life, I need saving on a fairly consistent basis. He has come. To the enemy - watch out!

In the coming weeks & months, this blog is sure to undergo an evolution of sorts. I took two weeks off at the start of the year, and in that time, definitely got the message that I'm to continue. The format and general approach is still getting smoothed out. I just feel like I'm supposed to write and keep doing this, so I will. Thanks for hanging in there with me!

No comments: