Thursday, January 29, 2009

Listening to Him = No Fear

Have you ever had one of those moments when you're talking to someone who is so distracted with whatever is going on for them that they just will not to you? You probably have, but if not, the scene I'm imagining has been captured in numerous movies and TV shows. One person is going on and on about some sort of potentially forthcoming disaster. In other words, they're panicking. The second person is saying, "hey! hey!" and trying to tell them that whatever disaster they're worrying about has already been averted! It's usually a hilarious comedy of errors until the calm person gets the attention of the panicked person and says, "Look at me! Listen to what I'm saying!" Then, freak-out-Frannie starts actually listening to our calm friend, and realizes that all is well. Insert happy rainbow-filled ending here.

Well, now, imagine yourself as the freaking out one. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, this doesn't require much imagination. Where am I going with all this?

Check this out: "but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm" Proverbs 1:33 (NIV).

As soon as I read this verse tonight, I thought, "Oh yeah, this is me." When I am all spun up and worked up and freaked out, all I ever need to do is stop, focus my attention on the Lord and actually listen to what He says and what He is saying to me. And as we see here, we are promised safety and ease as part of the package. Safety is great; yay for safety - really, I mean that. But, to be honest, in those moments, I may sometimes value the ease more. Either way, I'll take it. And I'm grateful!

No comments: