Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Trust Him with You

I have a friend who is having a hard time right now, and I can SO feel my fleshly desire to jump in and try to "help" the situation. I put help in quotation marks, because although my desire is to help, what's really going on is that I'm trying to control! There isn't a way for me to be helpful in this situation, except for to love my friend and to pray.

While my own discomfort with my friend's discomfort is palpable in the pit of my stomach, what the pit also tells me is that I am not trusting God with my friend. And if I'm going to be perfectly clear about the bottom line, it means that I'm simply not trusting God.

As hard as it is for me to live into, it's just plain truth that your life is mine to manage. There are a hundred ways in which my own life is not even mine to "manage!" So, what am I thinking when I let myself get bogged down in someone else's feelings? I'm thinking God won't take care of it. I'm thinking God won't take care of that person. In fact, unconsciously, I might be able to say I seem to be thinking that God doesn't care.

Remember, God LOVES us, and that's with a Biblical, active love. It's not a far-away-watching-from-the-clouds love. He is up in our business whether we like it or not - as long as we let Him be Lord of our lives. And when God gets involved, things get good. Sometimes they get uncomfortable, but tell me for half a second that you think Jesus' life was comfortable. In fact, think of anyone you admire, and tell me you think for a nano-second that their life was comfortable. Comfort is the enemy sometimes; I'm certain of it.

So, I have to let go of my own reservations about my friend's discomfort. I can love my friend through a hard time, but I shouldn't try to take it away. With God in charge (and in this situation, He is firmly in the driver's seat!), it can't go wrong! And maybe this discomfort will be the doorway to the best that is yet to come. I need to trust. One day at a time, I must! And I have to let Him help me - even with the trusting; I haven't found another way!


No comments: