Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Grating of the Plane

Do you know what a microplane grater is? If not, it may be helpful to quickly google an image for reference in this metaphor... :)

I've had this image in my head a lot lately, and it may sound sort of morose, but the image has been of a microplane grater rubbing against my skin - just grating away the layers. It may sound a little gory, but I think it's appropriate. If you've ever used one, you know that a microplane grater can definitely get the job done; little can be left of the outer layer of anything you rub it up against. At the same time, it's workmanship makes for removal of little bits at a time; even in its harsh task, it is somehow delicate as well.

I have seen God's had grating away the (metaphoric) flesh in my life in new ways lately, and while I truly am grateful for the refinement, I have to admit that sometimes it hurts! And in addition to some surface wounding, I've found that - in addition - there are some situations in which I also need to grieve a little bit for that which is being scraped away. Or, perhaps it isn't the flesh I'm mourning, but the assumptions of my fleshly self.

The less I attach to the things of my self, and the more I let the Father refine me, the more I realize how foolish it is to attach to my own best plans at all. My own best ways, my own best thoughts, my own best ideas...not a one measures up to His plans, His thoughts, His ways. I will lean not on my own understanding; His way is the path to my greatest good - without fail!

No comments: