Friday, December 4, 2009

Day by Day

When the Israelites wandered in the wilderness, they were provided manna in small, manageable, daily portions. When Paul took his missionary journeys through the various parts of the then-known world, his work was executed one city, one established community at a time. Even God Himself spread creation across a week's worth of days - creating each thing in succession, and then modeling for us all a day to rest.

By nature, I tend to try to do too much too fast sometimes. I decide to undertake a project or an internal change, and I find myself unwittingly surprised when my transformation hasn't been completed 15 minutes later.

I need to remember that life isn't lived that way - and it's no doubt for good reason. I could espouse all the positives of having to build a road, one pave stone at a time...but I will spare you the rhetoric. Instead, I will just say that this is the way God designed us.

I am certainly more successful and less overwhelmed when I let life, even my life, unfold at His pace. I can do today's work today...but tomorrow's portion remains in His hands. I'm sure we are all familiar with the verse, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 (NIV)

In addition to being able to actually function better in the present day, I realize that when I don't hurry myself into tomorrow and tomorrow's tomorrow, I am better able to appreciate and recognize the beauty of the journey. There are many small wanders upon even the simplest of paths. I don't want to miss the way He's marked out for me, and staying on the path doesn't ensure I won't miss some of the scenery. Take it easy. This time of year that is especially hard, but in the long run, the intentionality begets ease and peace. He promises.




No comments: