Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Appearances

This weekend, I had a conversation with a good friend that got me thinking. Our sermon that night had been about the importance of relationships, and we were discussing the relevance of this topic around the holidays. This is a time of year during which so many feel especially struck with loneliness and sadness over the state of their own relationships...especially relationships with family.

I was reminded of times in my past, and of scenes from movies and the shared memories of friends - all scenes of happy loving relationships between friends, lovers and families. For many, these scenes can bring on waves of sadness. I would be lying if I were to say I've never looked at a scene out of someone else's life and thought, "Gosh, why not me?"

But, what I was reminded of during my conversation with my friend was that any family can look happy in church for an hour or so, any couple can put on a happy face in the middle of a dinner party and even friends sometimes have times where they "fake it." It's not pretty; it's not even good, but it's real.

So, what's my point?

The Bible talks about not coveting the things of others... that's sort of Sunday School 101, but I think it applies just as much - if not more so - for adults, and adult things...like relationships. God knows what He's doing. With each and every one of us; He knows, and He has a plan. And His plan is GOOD. Good like only He can do. Don't long for someone else's journey; each one has pain and hardship. And the journey you are on is being guided at every step of the way by the Maker who loves you more than you can know.

No comments: