Friday, January 8, 2010

Tomorrow's Portion

It's so easy for me to get "spun up" about various things in my daily life. This is an area where the enemy frequently tries to get to me. I can get ahead of myself so easily.

I have to remind myself frequently about the truth revealed in Matthew 6:34: "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

It's so easy to get sucked into tomorrow; it's easy for many of us to also worry. Naturally, many of us worry about tomorrow. First of all, it's clear from the verse above, that we are commanded not to worry. This isn't just a suggestion or a feel-good motto suggested by Jesus; this is a command. He says, "Do not...." Plain and simple. And that should be enough. Jesus said don't, so I won't.

However, for me, I do find it easier to follow this command when I remember all the other good reasons to do so. Not only does worrying do no good, it's not necessary. Most importantly, it's not necessary at all.

God will provide for us. He takes care of me today. He has always taken care of me, and He WILL take care of tomorrow. That's how He is; steadfast, faithful and trustworthy.

Sometimes the hardest part is realizing I need to let go and trust God, but it's important to try to stay on top of this one. I can actively believe God for His portion for me tomorrow - each and every time. And when I do, it's easier to enjoy and appreciate the manna He's given me for today.

No comments: