Thursday, January 7, 2010

Core Lies

I had a great conversation with some friends this weekend that got me thinking about the "core lie" in my life. The enemy has many tricks, but as I think I've written here before, it's said that he's persistent, but not particular creative. This has certainly been true in my life, and the more closely I examine my own history, the truer this seems.

Of the devil, the Bible tells us that "He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." John 8:44

It seems strange to have one, but I'd have to say this is one of my favorite verses about Satan. It reminds me of who he is and what he's about. He's in the business of deception; in fact, he is the father of lies! The FATHER of lies! Think about what that means; it is from him that lies are birthed and born.

This is a very true statement in my own life, and as I look at the lies with which he tries to goad me, they often tie back to a very small deck of fundamental or "core" lies.

For example, let's say that I have deep insecurities about being unintelligent or (in the language I think more of us are most likely to use with ourselves) stupid. Well, the enemy may not sit and whisper into my ear, "You're stupid! You're stupid!" all day. BUT, he may instead craft this lie into slightly more sophisticated versions to help infiltrate my entire life more completely. For example, at work, I may struggle to feel like my boss values my input. I may find myself saying things like, "Well, I don't know. I'm not sure I have the experience I need for this position." It may even be true that I have less experience than some of my peers, but the reason I give voice and energy to this self-doubt is that I am tied into that root deception that I'm a stupid person.

This could also show up (and most certainly would) in other areas of my life. If I am living in a way that believes the lie of my own stupidity, I might also struggle with fear about being a good parent. Perhaps a child of mine might struggle with school or a behavioral issue; I may find myself overly reactionary or fearful in response. Why? Maybe deep down, I am afraid I can't help my child, and in this faux story, let's just say that it might be because I find myself believing Satan's lie that I don't know how to handle my child; I don't know what to do next, and I can't figure it out. Translation: I am believing I'm stupid.

At the end of the day, this all boils down (as so much does!) to a question of who it is I am going to believe. The Word tells me that I am wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14); it also tells me that I am made thoroughly competent for the tasks He sets before me as I dwell in Him & His word (2 Tim 3:16-17). So, who is it that's telling me this core lie of stupidity? The enemy, of course. He is, afterall, the father of lies.

I have been praying and will continue to pray for revelation about the core lies I believe without even realizing it. I am certain they show up in many ways in my life - subtle and not-so. The word of the Father is pristine and right; the word of the darkness is life killing and contrary to His goals for you. Believing in the One worthy of your every faith!

No comments: