Wednesday, November 25, 2009

You Are

Our pastors at church are great at reminding us that 1) God is who He says He is and that 2) He does what He says He'll do. There is a third truth I want to focus on today: 3) You are who He says You are.

Yep, let me say that again: You are who HE says you are.

We all tend to be so hard on ourselves, and the phrase "negative self-talk" has become rather common in our self-help saturated world. There is a key, fundamental truth in the midst of all the coaching for self-positivity. Believing God's word means believing ALL of it, and it's been my own experience that some of the most difficult words to trust in are those He has about me, and I've seen the same struggle in so many others. But let's review just some of what He says about you & I.

First of all, and this is a "go to" for me when I am tempted to believe otherwise: I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14; fact check me.

I am God's treasured possession (Deuteronomy 7:6).

You are God's child. (John 1:12-13)

You are the apply of His eye (Psalm 17 & Zechariah 2:8).

We are loved with an everlasting love. We are LOVED. By God. Drink that in, friends. The everlasting love of the Father is yours. He loves you. (Jeremiah 31)

And He has chosen you. (Isaiah 41)

You are precious in God's sight. PRECIOUS. (Isaiah 43)

You are God's friend. (John 15:15)

He delights in you. I'm not going to give you the reference on that one; I challenge you to find it for yourself, and to dig into the Bible, it's His love letter to us all, and there is MUCH that He says about you. His truth isn't reserved for Him and what He says about the world, Himself or others. He's talking about you. He's talking about me. Will you believe?

No comments: