Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rewards

Let's start with the good stuff:

"O LORD, by your hand save me from such men, from men of this world whose reward is in this life. You still the hunger of those you cherish; their sons have plenty, and they store up wealth for their children. And I—in righteousness I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness." Psalm 17:14-15 (NIV)

The phrase "such men" is referring to those elaborated more in the preceding verses, but basically it's "bad guys." The Psalmist is decrying their evil just words before this passage. Then, he throws in this beauty.

There are a couple things that catch my attention & admiration:

First, notice that the "such men", our evil-doers are also referred to as people "whose reward is in this life." It's almost thrown in as an after thought, and certainly is a passing descriptor, but let's think about the significance! If this word tells us that there are those whose reward is in this life, it's logical to say that the "other" group of people are those whose reward is in another life. Oh friends, don't you want to be those whose reward is not limited to the natural world?!?

Secondly, I loved the translation that reads "You still the hunger." That's beautiful to me, and such an apt metaphor. The Lord does fill my hungry places, but He stills them as well. Flutters of anxiety and fear are still when I let Him touch those places inside me. And, like the Psalmist I will strive to submit my hear to Him so that I can see His face in righteousness and find satisfaction in His likeness!

How grateful I am today for the scripture! They feed us again and again and then more!

No comments: