Thursday, November 26, 2009

Cold War

I had a meeting earlier this week that was a little tense to say the least. In fact, after most of the people had left the room, a friend who remained in the room looked at me and said, "Cold war. How long do you think that'll last?"

I sigh again just thinking about it.

I left that meeting feeling frustrated and a little disheartened. Then a new thought occurred to me: what can I do to thaw things out? Now, in general, I am definitely NOT in favor of inserting myself into situations that don't involve me, but this particular situation not only involves me, but officially (in a professional responsibility sense) is mine to help mediate.

So, I went back to my desk and sent off a quick note - thanking one of the people in the group for being frank, honest and up front. It's true that after her direct comments, there was an uncomfortable silence from some, but what she did was speak truthfully and without rancor.

I'm not sure my email will make much difference at all, but my hope was to do a tiny bit to ease the situation, and - more importantly - to actively and intentionally encourage honesty and direct communication. While that may all seem like a lot of uninteresting corporate musing, I am certain the principles are rooted in the Bible. And my take is that the Bible is as applicable at work as it is at home or in the church or anywhere else.

"Kings take pleasure in honest lips; they value a man who speaks the truth." Proverbs 16:3 (NIV)

"These are the things you are to do: Speak the truth to each other, and render true and sound judgment in your courts;" Zechariah 8:15 (NIV)

"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16 (NIV)

I'm doing my best to take what I read in the Book of Truth and apply it to my life. It's not always going to be graceful, and it's sometimes might not even be done well or rightly, but I'm doing the best I can. And I think that's what we're called to do. So, one day at a time, let's do it!


No comments: