Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Falling Down

I had a little fall recently...well, the fall was little, but the aftermath wasn't quite. I slipped on my stairs and ended up cutting myself on a baby gate I use for my dogs. The cut ended up being long and deep and right through an arterial vein. I will spare you all the gory details, but the bottom line is, it wasn't good. After a day and a half in the hospital (which can only be partially blamed for my absence from writing; I apologize for that!), I came home to recover.

The good news was that I wasn't home alone. My boyfriend was over hanging out, and it was a good thing! I lost a lot a blood and he was there to drive me to the ER, get me situated once there and also to just take care of me in a million ways over the next few days.

A couple days later, he came across this verse in his reading:

"If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble." Ecclesiastes 4:10 (NLT)

He actually thought this was quite funny, and sent it to me in a text message - claiming it was "my" verse for this season. I have to admit I also thought it was funny, but of course, we both agreed that there is more in this scripture than just an opportunity to tease me about falling. :)

Let's put it in context; this passage is verses 9-12. The NLT has "The Advantages of Companionship" as the heading for this paragraph:

"Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken."

Of course, I am certain I am not alone in having heard this passage before - many times. Yet, I am struck anew by its relevance and its message as I think about the happenings of my own fall. In this particular example, my stumble was literal, and I am struck with a new appreciation for my companion that night. He didn't leave my bedside - literally, and he reached out to help me when I needed it. I am struck as I write with a wave of gratitude for not only him, but also for the others in my life whose hand is always within reach when I find myself on the ground.

As Thanksgiving approaches, I'm not going to buck tradition, but instead embrace it. I'm giving thanks today for companions whose hands are outstretched, and who stand with me when I have a battle to fight. And with God's powerful love woven amidst our fellows in Christ, what is there for us to fear?

No comments: