Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Testimony, part 2

As I wrote about for yesterday's post, I have written - and am soon going to be sharing - my testimony. I have been excited about the opportunity, and had even invited a few close friends to join me. Then, this weekend, the Lord put some things on my heart... He seemed to be instructing me to cast a wider net and invite more people to come and hear.

I will admit that I really resisted this directive. I found myself talking to my boyfriend and saying that, while I wanted to bring glory to God, it was after all, my story, and I felt sensitive about who would hear it. Ugh. As soon as the words were on my lips, I knew that I was quite mistaken. This story, this listing of miracles and transformations in my internal and outward lives is far, far from my story. This is HIS story. That's the only way it could have turned out as it has...and this is just the beginning.

So, while I knew what I was going to do (be bold!), I looked at scripture for some additional guidance and support. I found this:

"But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds." Psalm 73:28 (NIV)

and this...

"Sing praises to the LORD, enthroned in Zion;
proclaim among the nations what he has done." Psalm 9:11 (NIV)

and this...

"Come and listen, all you who fear God;
let me tell you what he has done for me." Psalm 66:16 (NIV)

and this....
"Sing to the LORD, for he has done glorious things;
let this be known to all the world." Isaiah 12:5 (NIV)

and, lastly, this...

"We will not hide them from their children;
we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD,
his power, and the wonders he has done." Psalm 78:4 (NIV)

Needless to say, I found myself persuaded. And then, as if God wanted to just hit it home, after I'd already made my decision, one of our pastors at church shared this scripture with us this weekend:

"Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name;
make known among the nations what he has done." 1 Chronicle 16:8 (NIV)

Okay, okay, I get it! Not only did I need to be bolder about inviting people, but I needed to be quick to obey. So, I have.

And although you may not have a public speaking opportunity, I encourage you to let the principles here sink in and apply them in your own life. I've been praying for boldness with my coworkers; I'm sure this open invitation is part of His plan to teach me. I'm scared, but I know it is worth it! He has done amazing things...and I don't want to be shy about bringing glory to His name! Do you?

No comments: