Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Jackpot

I have the incredible good fortune to be a part of a church that has started its own Bible College. Our instructor is passionate, knowledgeable and filled with the Holy Spirit. He's a gifted and open teacher, and like a cherry on top, we also happen to have a lot of fun.

After class last night, I was thinking about what an incredible blessing it is for us to have the privilege of this situation in so many ways. Not only is it nearby and affordable, it's quality teaching in a collegial environment. It's at my church and the room is full of people who love the Lord and whom I have the privilege of getting to see every week in services, serving God and worshipping His holy name.

There are religions - Christian religious traditions - that fail to teach that, through Christ, we now all have access to the truth of His word and to His heart. There are people in my very city who don't think they're supposed to pick up their Bibles and learn it! A little more removed, there are people who struggle to afford a Bible; they don't hop on to the BibleGateway website to check various translations. There are people in other nations who walk miles to get to church, and those who not only meet in secret, but are literally martyred for their faith. And I throw on sweats on a Monday night and drive over to our cozy meeting room to learn about the word with 70-some of my classmates. Incredible.

Today, as simple as it is, I'm just taking time to be grateful for my exposure and ability to access not only the Lord Himself, but quality tools that can help me get to know Him more. I hold firmly to the belief that prayer and time are the key tools, and even those living in remote lands who don't have a Bible in their language can get to know God that way. But I am really grateful that the depth of information to which I have access is right in front of me and freely accessible in many ways.

In one of my classes, our instructor made the comment that prosperity often breeds ingratitude. I want to set aside today as a special day for me to honor the prosperity He's given me (and many of us, I trust) in regard to the opportunity to really learn and know His word and teachings. Thank You, Father!

No comments: