Monday, October 26, 2009

Testimony, part 1

I had recently been given the opportunity to share the story of Jesus' work in me (so far!) this week at a recovery group at my church... it's a discipleship program of sorts, and I went through one of its intensive programs earlier this year. It's a ministry in which I'm still involved, and there is an open door for people to share their testimonies.

As I started pondering the opportunity, I knew I wanted to share. I started the writing process and found it to be both instructional and enriching. It was hard to dig into some of the darker parts of my life, and even more challenging to figure out how to encapsulate them in a way that would make sharing them both simple and useful. It wasn't easy.

Delving into so much of my history felt scary and frustrating. I found myself resisting. Then I remembered this principle:

"But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you." 1 Samuel 12:24 (NIV)

The "principle" in this verse that I'm referring to is that of appreciating the good. If there weren't harder seasons in my life, I wouldn't know to appreciate and love the great and happy place to which He's brought me. The hard parts of my story have given Him opportunities to show up and and show off...and I can, indeed, say that He has done great things!

So, testimony is written and I am grateful! Reflect today on not only His goodness, but the good acts He has done in your life and heart. It brings glory to Him and is Biblically commanded!


No comments: