Friday, April 15, 2011

Suffering, Endurance, Character & Hope

As I've recently written, I've undertaken a little challenge via the Living Proof Ministries Blog to, twice a month, thoroughly commit to memory a new verse.  We start new verses on the 1st & the 15th, and as the new verse dates approach, I  seek a word from God on what He'd like me to learn and let dwell in me richly (see Col 3:16).  You know He's got purposes aplenty to accomplish in this girl!  So far, I've had a verse surface each and every time I'm preparing to start a new one.  God knows what I need; I'm so glad He's willing to share the info.  :)


So, my verse for this half of April is actually a set of a few verses.  It'll be a longer passage for memory, but I think I can get it locked in my head.  For me, having the verse "click" in terms of meaning is the key to memory.  So, with that in mind, I've got some initial thoughts on the passage that lays before me, my task for the next couple weeks: Romans 5:3-5 from the ESV.


"More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."


I've come across this verse before, and remember finding it a puzzling logical track.  Suffering leads to hope? Uhhh...really?


Well, you know, I believe the Word is absolute truth and absolutely true, but I am not afraid to say right here and now that I find that logical leap to be a bit of a mystery.  So far.  I look forward to the next two weeks.  Task one: word study.  I know enough to know that I probably don't know what suffering, endurance, character and hope really mean (although, regulars here will know I've done some study on hope in past musings, thoughts and posts).


I'm sure I'll be popping in here to share what I'm discovering as I journey!  For whatever reason, though, I wanted to loop y'all in on the front end of this discovery process.  I'd love to hear your thoughts and insights or - better yet - experiences of learning this passage in your life!  Comments always welcome on the blog!  


You are blessed; show it to the world today!



No comments: