Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Standing Still

Since it's day 1 of the blog, I can't really say that I am posting this just after reflection on my quiet time in the Word and with the Lord. So, instead, I'll just kick this blog off with a few quick thoughts about a verse that has become one of my favorites:

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." Exodus 14:14, NIV

The nature of my personality is go, do, make, conquer. I can be very independent, and have learned only in more recent years that my (sometimes extreme) self-sufficiency can be as much a liability as an asset. So, when it comes to matters I feel like I'm learning about inside or ways in which I'm growing, I often take the approach of, "Okay, what do I do?"

To be clear, what that really means is, "How do I make this faster/easier/clearer/more understandable to me?" And I continue to learn that there are SO many ways in which there's not really anything for me to do other than be open and yielding to the Lord. He does the rest. When I first saw this verse, I thought, "Where has this been my whole life?!?" It's spoken by Moses to the Israelites as they wander in the desert. What a wonderful reminder, as I wander in my own deserts that the Lord will fight for ME. I need only to be still.

No comments: